Monday, December 7, 2009

Texas has it's own cake?

Here's a post from our guest blogger, and my very BFF, Wendy. Wendy and her family all moved to Houston and she recently sent me an email informing me that Texas has it's very own cake! It's called...wait for it.... Texas Sheet Cake!

She made the cake for her dad's birthday and here's what Wendy wrote about the experience: "I had success with the 'cake.' Some call it a Texas Sheet Cake, I call it Diabetic Coma Inducing Deliciousness. It's like a brownie that is frosted with fudge. This recipe uses no eggs but calls for a LOT of butter." (Melita: Just for the record, I love lots of butter in anything, so this recipe already has my complete devotion)

Ingredients

CAKE:
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup water
1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream

ICING:
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
3 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions: In a large saucepan, bring the butter, water and cocoa to a boil. Remove from the heat. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; add to cocoa mixture. Stir in the sour cream until smooth. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
If you are not a baker, like me, you will find the consistency of the cake mix to be more like pudding than cake batter.

In a saucepan, melt butter; add milk and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, add vanilla. Whisk in the confectioner's sugar until smooth. Spread over the warm cake. Cool completely on a wire rack.

I put a dollop of whipped cream on top of the cake because I didn't think the 3 3/4 cups of sugar I put in the icing was enough....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails