Monday, February 1, 2010

Gardening with Drake

Lise and Drake came over on Saturday morning to help put in the first batch of seedlings. I've been threatening to garden this year and have actually started! Not only did we install the fence to keep the dogs out, but I have weeded, mulched, and prepped pretty much the entire area.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to have my little nephew come on over to plant some of the first vegetables and we plan to have him come back to watch their progress and see how eventually these plants will turn into lunch!
He seemed to really enjoy the whole process, but thought the worms were very, very gross.
But lots of worms are a sign of healthy and happy soil, so get used to them!
We planted carrots in several varieties, beets, zuchinni, watermelon, and something else. I'm not a very organized gardener and didn't label anything, nor did I plan the garden very well as far as planning what goes where and what plants will do best in certain areas. Basically the plan is to stick everything in and see what happens. If I can remember that plants need water, we should be ok. If not, it's only February and I'm sure we can try again later.
We haven't mentioned the chicken flock to Drake yet since it's going to be a little while before we can install the coop and get the chickies, but I think he'll be very excited to meet the girls when they finally arrive. We've already named them Buffy, Willow, and Cordelia.
Why yes, I am a big Buffy fan. So as thing sprogress with the house the garden will be growing and getting ready to give us our first home grown vegetable to enjoy with friends and family in the new kitchen. More on the reno later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails